Chukwudi Akasike, Port Harcourt
A makeshift building located in Miniewah community in Trans-Amadi axis of Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, was razed on Sunday morning.
Residents of the shanty had gone to church when the house was gutted by fire said to have been sparked by a pressing iron that was left connected to a fuse.
The device was said to have caught fire some minutes after electricity was restored by the power distribution firm.
Our correspondent learnt that no property was spared by the raging fire, which began at about 11am as residents within the community were all in the church.
A resident of the area, who identified himself as Johnson, said they became worried when they noticed a thick smoke coming from the building.
“The few of us, who were around made efforts to see how we could put out the fire, but it was difficult because no occupant of the house was around when it (fire) started.
“We noticed that the fire outbreak was as a result of a pressing iron that was left on the bed. The iron became too hot and when nobody was around to remove the plug from the fuse, it caught fire.
“It burnt the wrapper under it and the mattress. Before you know it, the entire house was on fire,” Johnson said.
However, efforts by our correspondent to reach the South-South Zone of the National Emergency Management Agency proved abortive.
Contact: [email protected]